Blue Margarita Magic: Stirring Up a Captivating Experience!
Combination of Lime and Blue Curacao
Wherever you search, you’ll see that margarita is one of the world’s most popular cocktails of all time. A classic margarita is one of my favourite cocktails by far, too. I’m a Mediterranean person who grew up with lots of citrus fruits. No surprise that I love sour cocktails more than sweet ones and you can have my heart with anything including lemon or lime =) That’s why I love this Margarita in blue colour a lot.
Tequila is the main element in any Margarita recipe you will use. To add some colour and flavour to that delicious drink, I have replaced the Triple Sec with Bols Blue Curaçao, which is basically blue coloured of bitter and sweet orange liqueur.
What to do if you want this Blue Margarita a little bit sweet:
There are some alternatives to make this Blue Margarita sweet instead of sour:
- You can add some Simple Syrup without changing any ratios of the main ingredients, 1/2 parts will give you a nice sweetness.
- Decrease the amount of Blue Curacao and Lime Juice to 3/4 parts each (instead of 1 part) and add 1/4 or 1/2 parts of Simple Syrup which helps to reduce the alcohol volume.
Important note: Don’t forget to cut yourself a nice slice of lime to use as a garnish at the end before squeezing it.
I have used Sierra silver tequila and Bols Blue Curacao and the sour alternative has a level of 22% alcohol. This may be a bit high for some people. Play with the ratios of the ingredients to discover your favourite taste. Even if you don’t like sweet cocktails, adding some sour-sweet mix instead of simple syrup for a bittersweet alternative can meet your taste.
The larger the ice cubes are, the better the result is. Also, don’t underestimate the quality of ice while making cocktails. Margaritas are well served on rocks. Both shaking and serving with good quality ice make a difference in the taste of your drink. Likewise, it makes a huge difference using fresh juice in your cocktails instead of packed ones.
Hope that you’ll enjoy this colourful and delicious drink as much as I do. I can’t wait for the weather to warm some more and enjoy our drinks at the parks, soon. Cheers!
Blue margarita recipe
- 1,5 part Tequila
- 1 part Blue curacao
- 1 part Lime juice fresh
- Salt to rim the glass
- Cut a slice of lime and run it all over the rim of your glass.
- Put some salt on a plate and tip the glass over into the salt.
- Add all ingredients to a shaker with lots of ice, and shake well.
- Put lots of ice into your glass and strain your drink from the shaker.
- Cut a wheel of lime, cut a notch on it and garnish your cocktail. Enjoy!